- Hotch: "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." - Ernest Hemingway
- Hotch: My opinion doesn't matter. The job's yours if you want it.
- Morgan: Hotch! Your opinion matters to me.
- Hotch: My life matters to me, and I have and always will entrust you with it. Would you do the same for me?
- Morgan: There's something I really want you to know, Garcia.
- Garcia: Save it! Just get out!
- Morgan: No, no, no, I'm not quite there yet.
- Garcia: Morgan...
- Morgan: Just listen to me.
- Garcia: Morgan, please.
- Morgan: You know what you are, Garcia?
- [The scene changes and then comes back to Garcia]
- Garcia: Morgan!
- [The ambulance where Morgan was driving that had a bomb in it explodes]
- Garcia: Derek? [looks like she's close to crying]
- [The scene changes again and then comes back to Morgan]
- Morgan: Garcia? [Garcia sighs with relief] I'll tell you what you are to me. You're my God-given solace. Woman, you promise me one thing: whatever happens, don't you ever stop talking to me...
- Garcia: I can't right now 'cause I'm mad at you.
- Morgan: I can wait.
The Angel Maker [4.2]
- Hotch: "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever. The goal is to create something that will." Chuck Palahniuk
- [poking Reid gently in the cheek after he has mentioned how it was quicker to solve the Bacon Cipher longhand instead of using a computer]
- Emily: He's so lifelike...
- [on plane]
- Reid: What if he has a twin?
- Morgan: Oh Reid, please tell me you're not talking that good twin evil twin stuff?
- Reid: No, no... I'm talking evil twin, eviler twin... just think...
- [everyone gives Reid a funny look]
- [about a possible cipher hidden in one of the Angel Maker's letters]
- Rossi: What do you need to crack it?
- Reid: The ability to clone myself and a year's supply of Adderall.
- Rossi: I'll put on the coffee.
- Hotch: Wendell Berry said, "The past is our definition. We may strive with good reason to escape it, or to escape what is bad in it, but we will escape it only by adding something better to it."
Minimal Loss [4.3]
- Reid: "To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly." Benjamin Franklin.
- Prentiss: "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." Ayn Rand.
- Hotch: Thomas Fuller wrote, "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
- Hotch: Roman poet Phaedrus wrote, "Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many. The intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
- Prentiss: Well, "roadside hotels" definitely go on my list. [No response from Reid or Rossi] Of things to never do again.
- Reid: You have a list?
- Rossi: You don't?
- [Hotch, JJ and Reid are talking to Garcia via. phone.]
- Reid: Thanks Garcia.
- Garcia: You, my fine furry friends, are welcome!
- [Garcia hangs up]
- Hotch: Remind me to have her drug tested.
Catching Out [4.5]
- Prentiss: "Plenty sit still. Hunger is a wanderer." Zulu proverb.
- Prentiss: "Beyond the East the sunrise, beyond the West the sea, And the East and West the wander-thirst that will not let me be." Gerald Gould
- [Reid looks back after watching JJ through a window.]
- Prentiss: So, are you considering it?
- Reid: Considering what?
- Prentiss: Having baby geniuses someday.
- [Reid gets a thoughtful look on his face.]
- [on feeling JJ's baby kick]
- Reid: Does that freak you out?
- JJ: No. Why, does it freak you out?
- Reid: Very much so.
- Rossi: What if he's already inside a house?
- Hotch: Then we'll find more bodies in the morning.
- Prentiss: So is there anything you want to tell us?
- Morgan: Nope.
- Prentiss: Your forehead's sweating.
- Morgan: No, it's not.
- Prentiss: Oh and he's avoiding eye contact!
- Reid: His blink rate just sped up.
- Morgan: Y'know what, you guys, I don't feel like that burger after all.
- Prentiss: You can't run from us!
- Morgan: Oh, watch me!
- [Morgan waves goodbye as the elevator closes, leaving Reid and Prentiss behind. Prentiss laughs]
The Instincts [4.6]
- Hotch: Amos Bronson Alcott said, "Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."
- Reid: Bob Dylan once said, "I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay."
- Reid: "What was silent in the father speaks in the son, and often I found in the son the unveiled secret of the father." Friedrich Nietzsche.
- JJ: If anything happens to us, it's up to you and Garcia to make sure this boy makes it into Yale.
- Reid: [to baby Henry] Yale, Henry? You want to go to Yale? That was your godfather's safety school. Don't worry, I can get you into CalTech with one phone call.
- Reid: "There is no refuge from memory and remorse in this world. The spirits of our foolish deeds haunt us, with or without repentance." Gilbert Parker.
- Rossi: "Let us consider that we are all insane. It will explain us to each other; it will unriddle many riddles..." Mark Twain.
- Rossi: "Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love." Martin Luther King, Jr.
- [at an FBI recruitment talk given by Rossi and Reid]
- Student: [to Rossi] What did you study?
- Rossi: Criminal justice, although "sports appreciation" was full up at my community college. [gestures to Reid]
- Reid: I hold doctorates in Chemistry, Mathematics, and Engineering. I also have BAs in Psychology and Sociology.
- [everyone gapes at him]
- Another student: How old are you?
- Reid: Twenty-seven, as of last month.
- [during a lecture at a school about joining the FBI]
- Reid: [after telling about the studies he's undergone] I'm also completing an additional BA in Philosophy. Which reminds me that I have a joke.
- [Rossi looks at him sceptically]
- Reid: How many existentialists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
- Rossi: [whispers] Don't.
- Reid:: Two. One to change the light bulb, and one to observe how it symbolizes an incandescent beacon of subjectivity in another world of cosmic nothingness.
- [chuckles, the group remains silent]
- Reid: [awkwardly] An existentialist...
- Rossi: [interrupts] Okay, before he does his quantum physics knock-knock joke [the group laughs] do we have any other questions about opportunities in the FBI?
- [after the lecture]
- Rossi: You do know that we actually want them to join the Bureau?
- Reid: What? Yeah.
- Rossi: We want these kids to think it's a cool place to work.
- Reid: I understand that...
- Rossi: [referring to Reid's existentialist joke] Existentialism?
- Reid: Existentialism is known as...
- Female Student: Hey? Reid.
- Reid: [absent-mindedly] Hi. [continues speaking to Rossi] That was a funny joke, what do you mean?
- Rossi: Yeah, to Sigmund Freud.
- Reid: I tell them they shouldn't send me here and they keep sending me here, I don't know why.
- Rossi: Because you're young.
- Reid: "Young" or "Jung"?
- Prof Rothchild: [butts in] Dr Reid, wouldn't they sit in the dark and hope that the bulb decided to light again?
- Reid: Excuse me?
- Prof Rothchild: An existentialist would never change the bulb, he would allow the darkness to exist.
- Reid: [realizes] Yeah, that's pretty good.
- Prof Rothchild: [upon being told that Reid has more important things to do than interview him] You have something more important than me?
- Rossi: My dry-cleaning is more important than you.
- Prof Rothchild: [after being told his rights by Morgan] Next time, bring Dr. Reid back with you.
- [outside the interrogation room]
- Reid: I never have any normal fans...
52 Pickup [4.9]
- Prentiss: Author Harlan Ellison wrote, "The minute people fall in love, they become liars."
- [Reid has taken Morgan's advice and done a magic trick to charm the bartender, Austin, and show her the sketch of their UNSUB]
- Austin: Okay, how'd you do that?
- Reid: That's privileged information.
- Austin: So...what should I do if I see him [the UNSUB]?
- Reid: You should definitely call us. Even if you just think you see him, you should call us.
- Austin: [smiling flirtatiously] And if I don't see him?
- Reid: Excuse me?
- Austin: Can I still call you?
- Reid: [squeakily] Yeah. Yeah, you can call me.
- Austin: Cool. [Reid turns to leave] Oh wait...I don't have your number.
- Reid: Oh, it's behind your barrette.
- [Austin reaches into her hair and pulls out Reid's card. He smiles and leaves. She watches him go, smirking]
- Morgan: See? That's what I'm talking about. That's called Game!
- Jordon: Is, um, this the guy you were telling me about?
- Prentiss: Viper, meet SSA Jordon Todd from the BAU, Jordon this is Viper, God's gift to women.
- Jordon: Wow; God sure has a sense of humour.
- Rossi: P. J. O'Rourke wrote, "Cleanliness becomes more important when godliness is unlikely."
Brothers in Arms [4.10]
- Morgan: "We are all brothers under the skin, and I, for one, would be willing to skin humanity to prove it." Ayn Rand.
- Morgan: "... for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare.
- Hotchner: "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken.
- Morgan: [holding JJ's baby] Look, look, what's he doing? He's smiling at Derek Morgan.
- Garcia & Prentiss: [glance at each other] Gas.
- Rossi: "There's no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were." President Dwight Eisenhower.
Soul Mates [4.12]
- Reid: "No mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips; betrayal oozes out of him at every pore." Sigmund Freud
- Morgan: British historian C. Northcote Parkinson said, "Delay is the deadliest form of denial."
- Rossi [in response to question, "Where did you get this kid Dr. Reid?"]: He was left in a basket on the steps of the FBI.
- Prentiss: Winston Churchill said, "There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues of human society are created, strengthened and maintained."
- Hotchner: Mario Puzo wrote, "The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other."
Cold Comfort [4.14]
- JJ: "And so, all the night-tide, I lay down by the side. Of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride. In the sepulchre there by the sea. In her tomb by the sounding sea." Edgar Allan Poe
- Rossi: "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase
- Garcia: You are just jealous because you don't have the magic ingredient!
- Prentiss: I have the magic ingredient...it's called Splenda.
- [Garcia laughs]
- Garcia: Reid, we need a DOB on Prentiss!
- Reid: 7:12 AM, October 12th, 19...
- Prentiss: Hey!
Zoe's Reprise [4.15]
- Rossi: "I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn." Albert Einstein
- Eric Olson (the unsub): I always knew I'd end up back in prison, just a matter of when. You can come interview me if you want. I read in one of your books that's how you build your behavioural database, right? Maybe you can learn something from me. I've got a lot of questions myself. I'll be honest with you if you're honest with me. Because the one thing that you always ask is the one that I don't understand. Why?
- Rossi: Austrian novelist Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach wrote, "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
Pleasure is my Business [4.16]
- Hotchner: "The prostitute is not, as feminists claim, the victim of men, but rather their conqueror, an outlaw, who controls the sexual channels between nature and culture." Camille Paglia
- Prentiss: Leonardo da Vinci said, "He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done."
- Prentiss: Is Hotch still here?
- Garcia: Oh, I'm pretty sure he lives here.
- Prentiss: It's like the end of "The Dead." When Gretta remembers the boy she loved when she was younger, and she says, "I think he died for me."
- Rossi: You know, James Joyce also said, "There is no heresy or philosophy so abhorrent to the church as a human being."
- Hotchner: "Fate is not satisfied with inflicting one calamity." Roman author Publilius Syrus
- Hotchner: "Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny." John Hobbes
- Hotchner: It's over.
- Foyet: Stop. I'll kill him
- Hotcher: You need him to write your story
- Foyet: I said I'll kill him
- Hotchner: You kill him, I kill you.
House on Fire [4.19]
- Hotchner: Tennessee Williams said, "We all live in a house on fire, no fire department to call; no way out."
- Hotchner: "I have loved to the point of madness; That which is called madness, That which to me, is the only sensible way to love." Françoise Sagan
- Reid: "Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always gotten there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett
- Reid: Stephen King wrote, "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win."
A Shade of Gray [4.21]
- Rossi: Dr. Burton Grebin once said, "To lose a child is to lose a piece of yourself."
- Rossi: Andre Maurois wrote, "Without a family, man, alone in the world, trembles with the cold."
The Big Wheel [4.22]
- Hotchner: "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." Francis Bacon
- Morgan: "No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris
- Hotchner: "I'm not sure about automobiles. With all their speed forward, they may be a step backward in civilization." Booth Tarkington
- Prentiss: Well, I think it's safe to assume that our UnSub is male.
- Hotch: I agree with you, given what we know about aggressive driving and road rage.
- Prentiss: And the fact that men have an unnatural bond with their cars.
- JJ: That is true.
- Morgan: Wait a minute, I don't know about "unnatural".
- JJ: I once dated a guy who washed his car more than he washed his hair.
- Rossi: A nice car needs love.
- JJ: And a woman doesn't?
- Rossi: I'm not qualified to answer that.
- JJ: "The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still, small voice of conscience." Mahatma Gandhi
- Reid: "It will become fine dust over all the land of Egypt and it will become boils breaking out with sores on man and beast through all the land of Egypt." Exodus 9:9
- Reid: [to Morgan, waking up from the anthrax attack] Are you eating jello?
- Morgan: Hey kid. Hey Doc, he's back!
- Reid: Is there any more jello?
- Reid: "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller
To Hell... And Back (Part 1) [4.25]
- Hotchner: Flannery O'Connor said, "If there were no hell, we would be like the animals. No hell, no dignity."
To Hell... And Back (Part 2) [4.26]
- Reid: "Do you ever get the feeling that a case isn’t going to end well?"
- [after seeing the pairs of shoes of the 89 victims]
- Det. Benning: God...
- Morgan: I don't think God has been here a long time.
- Hotchner: Sometimes there are no words, no clever quotes to neatly sum up what's happened that day. Sometimes you do everything right, everything exactly right, and still you feel like you failed. Did it need to end that way? Could something have been done to prevent the tragedy in the first place? Eighty-nine murders at the pig farm, the deaths of Mason and Lucas Turner make 91 lives snuffed out. Kelly Shane will go home and try to recover, to reconnect with her family but she'll never be a child again. William Hightower, who gave his leg for his country, gave the rest of himself to avenge his sister's murder. That makes 93 lives forever altered, not counting family and friends in a small town in Sarnia, Ontario, who thought monsters didn't exist until they learned that they spent their lives with one. And what about my team? How many more times will they be able to look into the abyss? How many more times before they won't ever recover the pieces of themselves that this job takes? Like I said, sometimes there are no words or clever quotes to neatly sum up what's happened that day.
- The Reaper: You should have made a deal
- Hotchner: Sometimes, the day just...
- [Screen fades to black, then a gunshot is heard]
- Hotchner: ... ends.